Version 2.3b Upgrade Information
Although version 2.3b remains available for download for registered users to maintain existing
installations, please note that the current version is now 2.4.
Version 2.3 completely overhauls graph rendering on Windows and adds the ability to export graphs
to image files in the popular JPEG and PNG formats. While the new features and fixes apply to both Mac and Windows versions,
most of my attention on this release has gone into bringing the Windows version up to date with the Mac and iOS versions in terms
of the visual quality of the UI and graph rendering.
Downloading the new version
Version 2.3 for Windows supports all modern 32-bit and 64-bit platforms: Windows 2000 SP4 through Windows 8.1.
Version 2.3 for Macintosh supports OS X 10.6 and newer. (The new popover error messages require 10.7.)
Please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you find
anything about the new features that does not work as advertised, or if you find a regression in any existing feature.
- Version 2.3 for Windows uses the GDI+ graphics library, which is only included in Windows XP and later. (It will still run on Windows 2000 SP4,
but you'll need to download and install a number of updates from Microsoft first).
- Version 2.3 for Mac OS X uses APIs new to OS X 10.6. It will no longer run on OS X 10.5.
- Graph documents using more than 7 graph colors saved by version 2.3 will not load correctly in version 2.2--graphs using color slots 8-16 will be
assigned color slot 7. For best interoperability, uncheck "Save setup information with file" when saving documents you want to load in older versions.
- Version 2.2 and earlier may crash when reading a graphmat.ini file with a custom color scheme in it. If you wish to revert to 2.2 using a
graphmat.ini file written by 2.3, set you color scheme to one of the standard options (white, gray, black) before uninstalling 2.3.
What's new in version 2.3b (2.3.2)
- Fixed bug introduced in Find Intersection (all dependent values zero).
- [Mac only] Fixed issues with restoring custom color schemes and persisting a switch back to the default color scheme.
What's new in version 2.3a (2.3.1)
- Differentiable single-variable equations/inequalities (e.g.
1/x - 2 > 0)
are now solved and rendered more accurately by a new algorithm that uses
Newton's method to find all of the potential solutions and boundaries.
- Improved display of equation parsing errors to indicate the position of the problem where applicable. The
error is displayed in a balloon tooltip (Windows) or popover (Mac/iOS) and you no longer need to dismiss it in order
to edit your equation. In addition, the problem area of the equation is selected for you and the bubble "points to"
the selection in order to help you identify what's wrong with your equation or function definition.
- Fixed crash when computing critical points for equations containing an expression like "x+0".
- Fixed a number of issues with displaying "holes" in graphs and the Find Critical Points dialog box.
- [Windows only] Improved error reporting when Paste Data Plot fails due to invalid / unavailable clipboard data.
What's new in version 2.3
See changes in version 2.2e and earlier patch releases...
- The Windows version underwent an "extreme makeover" to bring the UI into
the 21st century (and catch up with that of the Mac/iOS versions):
- The grid is now rendered using anti-aliasing for smoother curves.
- Semi-transparent shading is used to display inequalities, integrals,
and the selected region on the grid.
- Added two larger sizes of icons for the toolbar, so it is easier to see
on very high pixel-density screens used on modern laptops.
- Right-click on the blank area of the toolbar now brings up a menu which
can be used to configure the icon size and whether to show text captions.
- Light-colored text in the status bar is now outlined in dark gray to
make it more readable against the light-gray background.
- The file open/save commands now use the new Explorer-style dialog boxes.
- Message boxes for warnings and prompts to save work are now centered over
the application window rather than the desktop.
- More colors! There are now 16 slots for graph colors and a palette of 128
possible colors to choose from.
- Added the ability to export graphs as JPG or PNG files. See the Edit -> Export Graphs XXX menu items.
- Printed tangent line/integral information should always reference the
correct entries in the equation list now.
- Fixed bugs in Pick graph color (strict inequalities were changed from
dashed to solid lines and domain endcaps in piecewise-defined functions
were not consistently updated)
- [Mac only] Printing with "Color with White Background" selected for the Printed
Color Scheme no longer changes to the standard white color scheme if you
have defined a custom color scheme and the background is already white.
- [Mac only] Fixed rendering of dashed lines for strict inequalities when "Draw graphs
with wide lines" option is selected.
Back to kSoft homepage...
kSoft, Inc. email@example.com
Last updated: Sun 30 Nov 2014